While scrolling through my news reader Geeky topics this afternoon, past the man who has taken the first steps toward possibly hooking his exercise bike up to Google Earth so he can ride it to the Moon (no joke!) I came across this post outlining various cheap or free gadgets to help people get in shape. It is a highly informative and useful post really. Anything that can help motivate and take at least some of the "pain" out of exercise.
Scrolling through, wedged between "Zero to One-Hundred Push-Ups in Six Weeks" and "Map Your Workout" is the intriguing subject of "Work Your Entire Body With a Sledgehammer".
My first reaction: Stunned open mouthed gaping while watching the supplied video.
Of course I had to keep reading. This was just too ridiculous to pass up. Here I thought is a prime example of stupidity and complete lack of intelligent life. Who in their right (or left, or dual hemisphere) mind is going to exercise by swinging around a sledgehammer wrapped in a sweater and looking completely demented while doing so?
So I read on, I followed one link to the next and ... it started making sense! Okay I almost fell out of my chair laughing at "Plowing fields passes the above criteria with flying colors, but I haven't (yet) figured out a way to plow a field short of actually plowing a field." I could just picture someone hitching up a "couch harness" and "plowing" the sofa across the living room. The idea still made sense. These are "normal" and somewhat "safe" movements. They probably are more fun than going to the gym. I haven't tried them yet, but I am a farm girl by birth. I love chopping wood and fondly remember arguing with my siblings over who's turn it was to do said wood chopping. There is something inherently fun about reducing a solid hunk of wood to slivers with simply an axe and muscle. I also remember how much those same muscles (every muscle in your body) ached after a few hours of making slivers, or digging post holes, pitching hay and yes, even churning butter. I have no doubt about the physical benefits of these activities. The only thing that remains to be seen for me is if it is as fun without the actual destruction. They just might be.
QuintesSentient was created to examine the stupidity in every day life and attempt to find something intelligent. Shovelgloving is certainly stupid, insane, ridiculous and it actually makes sense.
For the first time in QuintesSentient's (albeit short) history: Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!
Please don't make a habit of this people or I am out of a job!
State of the Story – June Update
4 years ago
1 comment:
On the news yesterday was a big report on the newest exercise craze to hit Dumb Fuck Miami and it is called Cave Man Exercise. No joke not making this up. Google it for yourself and see. If there is any possible way that money can be made from exercising it will be done. I do kind of like the idea of biking to the moon though. I always wanted to have an exercise bike in front of the tv in the florida room. Alas that never happened but there is an ashtray there infront of the tv
Post a Comment