As I write this first post the local news program plays in the background announcing the third tropical storm of the season. The news caster moves on to mention the memorial service for a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan, the 88th Canadian Soldier to die in that country since 2002; a smooth segue into U.S. Presidential Candidate Obama promising that Afghanistan will be the next focus of U.S. troops.
My fiancee begins flipping through channels, he pauses momentarily and comments that he is disappointed by The Knowledge Network because it "has no knowledge on it." His channel flipping lands the television on CBC Newsworld and a documentary on the droughts in China and one woman's 20 year (and still going) tree planting campaign that has converted a once barren dessert into the beginnings of fertile farm lands.
I can't help but smile. Her determination and dedication to make a difference are combating famine for people she has never met and will most likely never meet. It doesn't matter. She's leaving her mark.
Everyone wants to make a difference. I am a firm believer that all people are inherently good, regardless of their actions. It is hard to remember in a world of wars and gang shootings and rape and murder. Then again all of the major news stories are in one way or another spawned by people trying to make a difference. Even the dictator desires power so that he can impose his personal values on the citizens of his country and "change things". If some have to die on the way, so be it, it is all for the greater good.
The difference between the woman in China and the latest dictator to attempt domination is the method. The woman is changing her corner of the world with just as much determination as the dictator. They are both bent on change, and change for the better in their opinion. The woman is changing the world dramatically by setting an example rather than with a gun. Dictators are a dime a dozen. As soon as one is overthrown a new one steps up to take their place with a different platform but the same methods. I am willing to bet money that of the two; The tree planting woman in China and the Dictator of the Minute; the woman in china will have the most lasting change.
The majority of the world though thinks more along the lines of the dictator. When confronted with something that needs to be changed they will go out of their way to force their opinion on others. They will systematically attempt to recruit followers of like mind and when that fails they will force their beliefs on others until they have created like minded followers both to do what they think should be done and as a sense of validation for their belief system.
The woman in China faced ridicule at the outset of her campaign. She went forward anyway. She planted one tree at a time and ignored the laughter and scoffing. 20 years and millions of trees later she has made a difference, set an example and inspired others to do similar things, and she is still around to continue making a difference. Very few dictators live more than 5 years let alone actually accomplish what they set out to do.
As I finish this first blog post, I find that I have set a heavy standard for myself to follow. There is none of the usual light (though twisted) humour that I usually write with. I will introduce more of that as time goes on I am sure. For now though my goal was to make people think.
Hello World filled with war and violence and famine ... now knock it off and lets all get along.
State of the Story – June Update
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment