"Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth." ~Victor Borge

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fish What?

I would like to say that this article surprised me. Unfortunately it didn't. It would seem not much surprises me anymore, not even "fish pedicures".

For those who don't want to actually read the article: A salon in D.C. has acquired about 1000 Garra rufa or "doctor fish". These fish have been used in Turkey and Asia to treat skin disease such as psoriasis (according to Wikipedia) but this is the first time they have been known to be used in North America; for pedicures. Garra rufa resort to the eating of dead flesh when food sources are scarce. All concerns can be set aside about these fish getting a little too hungry and just taking a bite, they have no teeth so only dead flesh can be consumed. Customer's report being very satisfied with the treatment.

As I said before, this doesn't really surprise me. Scavengers are very common in nature. Entire species make their living eating dead flesh in one form or another, and lets not forget the use of maggots as a treatment for flesh eating diseases and infection. Not friendly to the squeamish among us perhaps but effective non-the-less. Where this article and the concept really loses me is at this oh-so-appealing paragraph:

In addition to offering pedicures, Ho (the spa owner) hopes to establish a network of Doctor Fish Massage franchises and is evaluating a full-body fish treatment that, among other things, could treat psoriasis and other skin ailments.

Yes. He said it, "Fish Massage franchises".

Can you picture this?

"Take a relaxing soak in soothing warm water and let our miracle fish nibble your stress and tension away!"

Really people. If you are so desperately in need of a massage that you will submerge yourself in water and let fish feed off your skin, you are probably beyond the point of a simple massage to help! Perhaps some psychiatric therapy and rethinking your career choices, but fish are not going to help you.

That is of course just my opinion, and other's may go for this type of treatment, in which case, be sure to check for any strays that may have gotten stuck in odd places before you leave the spa. Carrying dead fish "on your person" is not the way to win friends and influence people.

3 comments:

Damien said...

I have heard of this before but where I cannot recall. Businesses will charge anywhere near $200 to $500 bucks a pop for these new wonder spa treatments and soon celebs will be hawking there own "trout massagers"

It used to be called "calgon take me away" but it is now more like "take the stress away with a red snapper" But of course this is all related to
GLOBAL WARMING

Damien said...

I just realized the spa owners name mentioned is HO! I wonder if they give Happy Endings

Genlisae said...

I tried not to go there, really I did, I knew someone would though! lol